Do you have a new Hermit crab and are wondering, “what do Hermit crabs eat?” Hermit crabs are omnivores just like humans are. You will quickly find out that hermit crabs are not very picky eaters. In nature they pretty much eat anything they come across. With that said you still need to watch what you give them and ensure they are getting a healthy and well-balanced diet. When offering your hermit crab food be sure to offer them a variety. They will enjoy tasting and eating different foods.
What do Hermit Crabs Eat?
What to feed Hermit Crabs
- Hermit crabs love fish and it is perfectly safe for them to consume. From time to time you can place your hermit crabs in a plastic container along with a fish head and a little water. Let the hermit crabs enjoy snacking on the fish head for a few hours.
- Fruits and vegetables are wonderful foods for your hermit crab to enjoy. Make sure the fruits and vegetables are washed and if possible organic.
- Oak tree leaves and bark are rich in tannin and are very good for your little hermit. Make sure you wash the leaves and bark and allow them to fully dry before serving.
- The pet store has hermit crab supplements that are beneficial to them. The supplements contain calcium, carotene and antioxidants. Giving them these supplements will help to ensure they are getting a balanced diet complete with all the nutrients they need to live a long and healthy life.
- Hermit crabs enjoy the same types of meat we enjoy. However, you will want to make sure that the meat you are giving your crab is not seasoned with table salt or other spices. Sea salt is perfectly fine but please avoid table salt.
- Walnuts, wheat germ, oatmeal and honey are all things that are perfectly safe to give your hermit crab.
Food to Avoid
When figuring out what Hermit crabs eat, it is important to know what to avoid as well.
- You should avoid table salt and other spices.
- If possible avoid or at least limit the amount of processed foods your hermit crab gets.
- Do not give your hermit crab any flowers or leaves that have been treated with pesticides or fertilizers.
- Sugar can also be harmful to hermit crabs so please avoid giving sugar.
Now that you know what Hermit crabs eat, once you are used to your hermit crab and have offered a variety of foods you will learn what he likes. Hermit crabs have a personality and will turn their nose up at foods they don’t enjoy.
Where to find Hermit Crab Deals
Amazon has great prices on various Hermit Crab supplies such as habitats, shells, food and more.